American Psychological Association or APA has published requirements that are specific guidelines for writing assignments and papers in social sciences. Aside from guidelines for citations, references and initial pages, you will find needless to say some guidelines when it comes to outlines of papers and assignments.
Basic principles and guidelines in American Psychological Association (APA)
The rules that are basic guidelines into the American Psychological Association (APA) are the following:
- 12-point Sheriff, Times New Roman or Courier font for all text and a minimum of 8-point font for tables and figures.
- The written text needs to be double spaced like the quotes and reference list.
- The page numbers needs to be found in the upper corner that custom writing is right of paper.
- The margins must be set to 1” for each region of the paper.
- The title of the thesis should be stated on the cover page and then it should be placed only in the left corner that is upper of pages.
- The American Psychological Association (APA) will not use underlined text. Bolded text may be used only on figures and tables when data that are specific be stressed and highlighted.
- Capitalization is also rarely used. Job titles could be capitalized only if the person’s name follows (for example, it’s going to be the president regarding the company but in case the final name is given then it will be President Williams). Also, names of models, theories, diseases and conditions are not capitalized.
- It is within a paragraph, then you must use (a), (b), (c), etc. in that order when you list something in APA and if. Then you have to use bullet points if, however, you do not want to use a specific order. Vertical lists are used when you need to state information but in certain order. There is certainly one specific rule when writing numbers in APA style; numbers 10 and higher are printed in numbers but numbers from 10 and here are written out. Exception is perfect for age, time, distance, percentage and various ratios, they have been always stated as numerals, unless if they’re not located at the beginning of the sentence.
- Latin abbreviations are also not used; as an example: etc., i.e., e.g. as well as others. The language that is used in American Psychological Association (APA) should be respectful and bias-free.
Additionally, there are some specific guidelines in American Psychological Association (APA) that show how exactly to write an overview in APA format.
- Pressed for time?
- Searching for a matter expert that is subject?
- Need a high-quality, plagiarism-free paper?
Simple tips to write an overview in APA format
Writing an outline in APA format is all about structuring. Roman numeral letters are used in the primary headings of this outline and capital letters are used below for sub-headings. If you have to continue into the sub headings then you’ll definitely use lower case letters and Arab numbers below in parenthesis. Here is a typical example of how a plan in APA format would look like:
I. Choose a thesis that is right your essay
A. Reflect on your thesis
B. Start researching your thesis
1. Look for facts and examples that prove your thesis in the best way that is possible
2. Outline and draft your results and thesis prior to starting to create
II. Begin to write your essay
A. Form a introduction paragraph that is strong
B. Start writing the outline of your essay
1. Organize the paragraphs within the outline
a. The example that is strongest that supports your thesis must be the first paragraph
(1) the ones that are next organized and structured by priority and strength
(2) Use at least three arguments to support your thesis
b. Use a counter argument
(1) make sure the counter argument may be debated
c. Use a personal story to prove your thesis
d. Revise your outline
III. Finish your essay with a conclusion paragraph
A. The final paragraph should restate your thesis
1. Result in the conclusion convincing and strong
a. Try not to restate the examples but summarize the most important and influential part of them
b. Use simple but strong sentences
IV. Always proofread your essays at least once while making sure they truly are grammatically correct and well written.
You should use full sentences or just phrases within the outline. There is yet another form for outlining an essay in APA format and it is called the decimal one. It really is used rarely and if this has to, the professor will strictly notify you about any of it. With it you shall use Arabic numbers only. Listed here is a example that is short
1.0. Choose the right thesis for your essay
1.1. Reflect on your thesis
1.2. Start researching your thesis
1.2.1. Try to find facts and examples that prove your thesis in the best way that is possible
1.2.2. Outline and draft your thesis and results before beginning to write
It is crucial for an overview to be well structured and written it and believe in it because it forms an overall impression of your essay and convinces the audience to accept.